Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What a town!

More than 900 families have been left with nothing but what they could take with them in the few hours before the hurricane struck. I started this blog earlier this summer to boast about the great town in which in I grew up. My plan was to write a street-by-street journal of my hometown. I was always proud of my town and its people. As if I had to remind anyone.

I haven't had time to keep up on this blog, as have thousands of people in our town, those who have turned out to prove once again, we live in the greatest town in New Jersey.

We are surviving the rains that continue to taunt our town. But we will continue to help each other.

Soon I will resume my mission to document the neighborhoods of our town. But there is much to be done. There will be many more stories than I expected. Many of them tragic and heartbreaking. Some of them uplifting. This is the greatest disaster in the history of Pequannock Township, and its residents have risen to the challenge.

I am proud to be a small part of it.

1 comment:

  1. Its been some 35 years since we moved out of the Village, (due to the '68 flood). I still do know some families there, some of who I knew back in the day. My heart aches for these people. With the history of flooding there in the past couple years they are now stuck. No one in their right mind would consider buying any property in the Village now. I was talking to one friend last week and she is beside herself with her situation. She told me the way she sees things she has two choices. Either she walks away from her home which she has lived in for 20 years now and has made a considerable investment with upgrades and improvements, or stick it out and hope to be spared of any further flooding, (for the time being). I had no answer for her other than to try to stick it out. She would have nowhere else to go. I am currently faced with some major health challenges but I'm not sure if my situation would be considered worse than what the folks down in the Village and other low lying areas in Pequannock are now facing.

    ReplyDelete