Friday, August 26, 2011

I Gotta Get Outta This Place

I rode past the high school then hung a left onto Roome Ave. I've found that many people can't decide how that street is pronounced. Some say "Rome," as in "When in...," while others say "Room" as in "Go to your..." I defer to the people I know who live on the street, which includes John Bunomo, who almost had a stroke a couple years ago when he opened my refrigerator and saw a green can of Kraft grated cheese. Then I rode over to Van Saun and Van Ness--I guess the Dutch had some influence around here. Ran into a cul de sac on Van Ness. Made a left onto Jocelyn Place. Another dead end. Went back on Jocelyn and turned onto Judith Court. The term "Court" should have been my clue. Another No Outlet. One of these streets has to come out on West End Ave. I passed some other bike riders. One looked like he'd been going around in circles here since 1975.

Finally I retraced my route in and came out on Sunset. I wondered if others were still back there who needed rescue.

2 comments:

  1. So what did you decide? Is it room or roam?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were in my old neighborhood, Joe. I grew up at 33 Sanders Place. Those culdesacs that stumped you were home to countless wiffleball and kickball games. Growing up on a culdesac block meant that the Good Humor man would pass by your door twice! Our block was home to us (Fitzell), the Munsons, the Boneros, the Weiss family and the Shanes.

    ReplyDelete